Finding the best handheld massager may not be as easy as it sounds. This is because each model comes with its own unique features – as you have seen in our six reviews above. But the good thing is that each set of features offers a different massage experience. Therefore the starting point is to know the kind of muscle relief and relaxation you want.
Below are the essential things you should consider when buying a handheld massager, besides the obvious suspect – price:
After a long day at work, one of the best ways to relax is to go for a heat therapy. This treatment is very effective in relieving pains and aches, and promotes relaxation and comfort.
Heat therapy will also help you get rid of muscle stiffness and spasms. Other conditions that can be resolved with heat therapy include the following:
- Muscle knots: if you have ever experienced muscle knots, you know how painful and uncomfortable they can be. They produce pain can even change your sitting, standing or walking posture. Heat therapy warms and relaxes muscle knots gradually and you will start feeling the impact almost immediately. After relaxing, the muscle knots disappears and you will feel totally relieved and refreshed.
- Exertion soreness: this is a very common problem experienced by people who are starting a new training technique or most of skiing and snowboarding beginners. The problem is mainly caused by accumulation of lactic acid in muscles. One of the best ways to liberate yourself from exertion soreness is by using heat therapy. The warmth relaxes the muscles and reduces the lactic acid to permissible levels thus eliminating the soreness.
- Lower back pain: previously, lower back pain was associated with old age but that is no longer the case. Lower back pain is a common problem experienced by people who spend a lot of time standing or sitting. This usually happens at workplaces. Many people find it very difficult to get rid of lower back pain but heat therapy is a good solution. It works by ensuring that blood flows to all areas around the spine thus supplying adequate oxygen and nutrients. As a result, the muscles start relaxing, thy get relieved of tension and regain their flexibility.
- Sore muscles: it is very annoying to experience severe muscle pain yet you can’t figure out its exact cause or the exact muscles that are aching. This happens occasionally and can be as a result of lack of vitamin D, inadequate sleep or a flu or cold. Heat therapy is good at relaxing the muscles thus relieving tension that is there, which causes soreness. Guys at Massage Hub argues that handheld massagers with heat function are very effective in treating sore muscles because you can move them easily all over the body, including the aching muscles. Most importantly is that you can still use them comfortable even with some minor sickness such as flu, cold, and headache.
Speed Adjustment Setting
You definitely have a massage experience you prefer most but one thing for sure is that a handheld massager with a speed adjustment function is more flexible and better than the one with only one speed level. The speed adjustment setting allows personalization of your massage experience, depending on your needs and mood.
You can set the massager to the lowest speed to enjoy a relaxing massage for a longer period. You can also change the massager to a higher speed if your mood wants a rougher massager.
Since your mood is subject to change, it is better to go for a handheld massager with speed adjustment setting as it will enable you to be in more control of the ultimate massage experience you get.
Read also: How to choose the right healthcare team
There are several types of massage techniques, each with different benefits. Handheld massagers offer limited techniques of massages compared to other bigger massagers, such as massage chairs, but they are very effective in the massages they provide. Below are the most common massage techniques you will get from handheld massagers:
- Kneading: this technique involves applying pressure on the soft tissues of the respective body part such that they press against each other or the bone structure. When performed by professional therapists, they use their palms and fingers. Kneading helps in releasing tight muscles, increasing flexibility of the muscles, and relieving pain. A handheld massager has massage head add-ons that produce kneading by pushing your muscle tissues against each other or the bone structure.
- Tapping: in a real spa, this technique involves the massage therapist gently pounding and striking the target areas of your body using his/her fists. The massage heads of a handheld massager are able to simulate these actions. When these add-ons repeatedly strikes your body, they increase local temperature, increase flexibility of your muscles, and enhance blood flow.
- Percussion: this is probably the best massage technique offered by handheld massagers. In a real spa, this technique involves the massage therapist hitting the target areas of your body alternatively and in rapid movements using his/her wrists. The technique helps in stimulating muscles and skin reflexes, improving blood circulation, and relaxing your muscles. Percussion is achieved by a handheld massager through simulation of the percussion movements by hitting your muscles through short movements over the target areas of the body.